Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Method

"There is a distinct limit [...] to all works of literary art - the limit of one sitting."
-Edgar Allen Poe

Yesterday I found myself attempting to twitter, write code, listen to music, read a book, and eat. Every once in a while I would glance at an article online for one purpose or another. Then I realized -- anything I write online will receive just that once-in-a-while-glance; the glance that waits in a queue with a thousand things that must get done.

If I want you to meet my writing, it needs to be at the top of that queue: you must want to read it. You need to know what to expect from it. And you're busy. It needs to be so short you can read it, not just in Poe's single sitting, but in the span of a few breaths.

Three goals: Appeal. Predictability. Brevity.

I asked myself: how do I appeal? "No dry prose. Tell a story."
I asked myself: how do I become predictable? "Post daily."
I asked myself: how brief? "500 words."

No comments:

Post a Comment